Warmer days and spring weather means allergy season is upon us, and that has many people reaching for antihistamines or prescription treatments to cope with itchy eyes and runny noses.
Certain foods may also be able to reduce inflammation or help our bodies cope better with the symptoms, Dr. Talal M. Nsouli, a clinical professor of pediatrics and allergy-immunology at the Georgetown University School of Medicine, recently told weather.com.
People who suffer from seasonal allergies may benefit from adding some of these foods to their diet. Those with severe allergies should continue taking prescribed medications and consult their allergist before making dietary changes.
- Vitamin C has been shown to help ease allergy symptoms, and it’s most effective when it comes from fresh fruits and vegetables. Rosehips are one of the best natural sources of Vitamin C, with as much as 25 times more Vitamin C than citrus fruits.
- Omega-3 fatty acids, like the kind found in salmon and trout and other fish, have been shown to decrease the intensity of allergic reactions. Certain tree nuts like walnuts and flaxseed are also high in omega-3.
- Probiotics like those found in yogurt, kefir, kombucha and other products help reduce the body’s response to pollen.
- Local honey can alleviate allergies for some people as the body adapts to the traces of pollen carried by bees back to the hive.
- Turmeric, a spice often used in Indian dishes such as curry, has great anti-inflammatory properties that can alleviate allergy symptoms.
- Flavonoids like quercetin that are found in onions, apples and tea are believed to suppress the release of histamines.
- Garlic has been shown to block the production of chemicals that cause an allergic reaction.
- Magnesium may help reduce allergies, while also relaxing and opening up muscles.
Experiment with incorporating some of these foods into your diet during the peak of allergy season to see whether they help your body cope with symptoms.
Consuming lots of Vitamin C can be especially helpful, and our favorite is all-natural NADI rosehip drink. Each bottle has your daily recommended volume of Vitamin C needs, Zero Sugars and only 9 calories.
Try some today! You can buy it through our website, or on Amazon